Mark Douglas LAVERS
Mark Douglas LAVERS
Late of Jamberoo, NSW
NSW Redfern Police Academy Class # 170
NSW Police Uniform # 8148
New South Wales Police Force
Regd. # 19430
Rank: Commenced Training at Redfern Academy on 19 January 1981 ( aged 22 years, 8 months & 18 days )
Probationary Constable- appointed 6 April 1981 ( aged 22 years, 11 months & 5 days )
Constable – appointed ? ? ?
Constable 1st Class – appointed 6 April 1986
Senior Constable – appointed ? ? ?
Sergeant 3rd Class – appointed 27 July 1995
Sergeant 2nd Class – appointed ? ? ?
Sergeant 1st Class – appointed ? ? ? ( skipped )
Inspector – appointed ? ? ? ( skipped )
Chief Inspector – appointed 14 September 2003 ( Section 66 ) – appointment confirmed on 10 November 2003
Final Rank = Chief Inspector
Stations: Earlwood ( 9 Division )(6 April 1981 – ? ), Enfield GDs, Cronulla GDs, Sutherland GDs, Engadine GDs, Mascot GDs, Botany Bay GDs ( Sgt – 1995 ), Wollongong GDs ( C/Insp – 2003 – on a Section 66 ) – Retirement
Service: From 19 January 1981 to 26 September 2013 = 32+ years Service
Awards: National Medal – granted 8 March 1997 ( Sgt )
1st Clasp to National Medal – granted ? ? 2006
NSW Police Service Medal with 30 year Clasp – granted 10 December 2003
3rd Clasp to NSW Police Service Medal – granted ? ? 2007
4th Clasp to NSW Police Service Medal – granted ? ?2014
National Police Service & Good Conduct Medal – granted 3 April 2013
Commissioners Citation for Community Service – granted 31 December 2012
Born: Thursday 1 May 1958
Died on: Friday 7 August 2020 @ 9.40pm surrounded by love & family.
Age: 62 years, 3 months & 6 days
Cause: attended Hospital suffering pneumonia but found to have Leukaemia
Event location: Wollongong Hospital, NSW
Event date: Friday 7 August 2020
Funeral date: Tuesday 18 August 2020 @ 2pm
Funeral location: Hansen & Cole Funerals, 634 Northcliffe Dve, Kembla Grange, NSW
( Due to current Govt. restrictions of the 4 square metre rule at a Funeral due to the Cornona19 Virus Pandemic – this will be a Private Funeral )
FUNERAL WAS LIVE STREAMED.
You can find the link HERE
Future Wake location: ??? TBA
( Due to current Govt. restrictions of 50 persons only at ‘Gatherings’, there won’t be an immediate Wake )
Future Wake date: 5 December 2020 ( tentative )
( Due to current Govt. restrictions on ‘Gatherings’ due to Corona19 Virus Pandemic, some families may wish to have a Memorial Service / Wake with friends and family at a later date )
Funeral Parlour: Hansen & Cole, Kembla Grange, NSW
Buried at: ?
Memorial / Plaque / Monument located at: ?
Dedication date of Memorial / Plaque / Monument: Nil – at this time ( August 2020 )
MARK is NOT mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance *NEED MORE INFO
FURTHER INFORMATION IS NEEDED ABOUT THIS PERSON, THEIR LIFE, THEIR CAREER AND THEIR DEATH.
PLEASE SEND PHOTOS AND INFORMATION TO Cal
May they forever Rest In Peace
Our deepest condolences to his wife, Chris Lavers, and family.
Student missing off City Beach in Wollongong
A massive search-and-rescue operation has been launched after a Saudi Arabian student went missing during a late-night swim at City Beach in Wollongong.The University of Wollongong student was on a night out with friends to celebrate his 25th birthday when he and two others went for a swim at 2am today.Wollongong Police Inspector Mark Lavers said the friends entered the surf just south of the City Beach Function Centre and became caught in a rip.
- March: Liberian refugee missing off City Beach Two managed to return to shore, however the 25-year-old was dragged south by the current. “The missing person was hit by a couple of heavy waves,” Insp Lavers said. His friends last saw him 30m offshore, opposite the WIN Entertainment Centre. Last month a 19-year-old Liberian refugee, Patrick Koffa, vanished at the same beach while swimming with friends at night. He was caught in a rip after entering the water about 9pm on March 8. His body was retrieved from the water a week later about 300m from where he was last seen. Today’s search resumed at 7am, although the continued rough conditions have complicated the search and delayed the arrival of the PolAir helicopter. Insp Lavers said a police motorbike would be brought in to scour the beaches while PolAir and the Water Police would search the ocean. “We are hoping the weather will clear because visibility is a bit ordinary because of the swell,” Insp Lavers said. The 25-year-old has been in Australia for six months and lives at the University of Wollongong’s International House. A group of about eight friends were keeping a vigil at the beach this morning.
Policewoman killed after engagement
Wollongong Constable Elise Krejci and her partner Senior Constable Brett Wright were returning from a week-long family holiday with Officer Wright’s three children when the crash occurred at Cataract, south west of Sydney.
Colleagues of the couple were the first emergency workers at the scene after their car slammed into another vehicle in heavy rain about 1.30pm yesterday.
Constable Krejci, 31, died at the roadside, while Senior Constable Wright was released and airlifted to Wollongong Hospital in a serious condition with spinal injuries.
The three children – aged 7, 10 and 13 – escaped with minor injuries.
Grieving colleagues said today the couple had been engaged only two days ago and were due to return to work this morning.
Many of the couple’s workmates were unaware they were engaged until after the accident.
The death of the popular young officer has rocked the Wollongong command, where Constable Krejci’s sister, Anna, also works.
Inspector Mark Lavers said the couple had been on a week-long family holiday and were returning home when the crash occurred.
“They were engaged two days ago,” Insp. Lavers said.
“They got the ring in the safe (here at the police station).
“We will have to give it back to her sister today, I suppose, or her father.”
Insp. Lavers said colleagues were shattered by the death.
“She (Elise) is a lovely girl. She has been with us for three years since she was on probation,” he said.
“Her sister also works here.
“A lot of people had worked with her and a lot of people are upset.”
Insp. Lavers said the couple’s Holden Commodore hit a patch of water on the road and aqua-planed before slamming into the side of on oncoming Ford Fiesta on Picton Rd.
The male driver of the Ford, a 23-year-old Leumeah man, suffered hip, leg and facial injuries and was airlifted to Liverpool Hospital in a serious, but stable condition.
His female passenger was taken to St George Hospital in serious condition with multiple injuries.
Insp. Lavers said highway patrol colleagues of the two officers were the first at the scene.
He praised the professionalism of officers, who immediately realised their colleagues were involved.
A police Chaplin and psychologist were counselling officers.
Police from the Southern Region Crash Investigation Unit attended the scene and inquiries into the cause of the collision were continuing.
Police have appealed for anyone with information about the incident who has not yet spoken to police to contact Wollongong Police on 4226 7899 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
A report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.
Originally published as Policewoman killed after engagement
Fears held for missing Wollongong girl
Police are searching for a 10-year-old Bellambi girl who went missing on Saturday from a house in Wollongong. Tia Marie Hammond was last seen playing with her 12-year-old brother in the front garden of a family friend’s house on Corrimal St.At about 8.30am, Tia’s mother looked out the window to check on the children but was told by her son that Tia had ridden off on her pushbike. The mother hoped Tia would return home but after she failed to do so yesterday, she contacted police, said Wollongong police duty officer Inspector Mark Lavers.
Insp Lavers said two young girls said they saw Tia and another woman getting into a taxi on her street – Waley Ave, Bellambi – between 7pm and 8.30pm on Saturday, but he said this sighting was unconfirmed.
“At this stage we are reviewing CCTV footage from the (Crown St) mall,” Insp Lavers said.
“It could have been that she has been caught on CCTV, and we will also check her usual hang-outs, particularly the (Wollongong) youth centre.
“Tia is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, 150cm tall with a solid build and wavy shoulder-length brown hair.
She was last seen wearing a blue adidas jacket with three white stripes down the front, black Nike shorts and black and white slip-on shoes.
Police are concerned for her welfare and urge anyone who has any information on Tia’s whereabouts to contact Wollongong police on 4226 7899 or CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000.
Man charged over Mangerton home invasion
A 20-year-old man is due to appear in Wollongong Local Court today charged with a home invasion at Mangerton.
Chief Inspector Mark Lavers from Wollongong police says two men entered a house in Woodlawn Avenue at 5:00pm AEST yesterday armed with a baseball bat and a machete.
“They have entered the premises and demanded money. When no money was forthcoming, the males have left the premises with the victim’s mobile phone,” he said.
“A description of the white van used by the offenders was circulated by police radio. A short time later the pair was stopped by Lake Illawarra police in the vicinity of Primbee bypass.”
They were arrested and charged with the home invasion.
The 20-year-old man from Warilla was refused bail, while a 50-year-old man also from Warilla has been given conditional bail to appear in Court on October 7.
Serial child rapist caught
A serial child rapist who went on the run yesterday just hours after being released from jail has been nabbed near a Wollongong beach, south of Sydney, by an off-duty policeman.
Raymond Barry Cornwall breached his strict bail conditions yesterday evening, just half an hour after parole officers left him at his approved accommodation.
The 52-year-old was released from Sydney’s Long Bay jail on appeal after serving a 14-year sentence for four sexual attacks on females aged between 13 and 23, who he held at knifepoint.
He was due to undergo a program for sex offenders in jail for eight months, but the Court of Appeal overturned that Supreme Court ruling yesterday.
An off-duty officer recognised Cornwall this morning while jogging at Stanwell Park Beach, in north Wollongong, and approached him.
He called police, who arrested the sex offender about 8:00am (AEDT).
Under his 26 release conditions, Cornwall had to be supervised by parole officers, inform them of his movements, be at his address between 9:00pm and 6:00am (AEDT), and wear an electronic monitor on his ankle.
But the anklet was not fitted with GPS monitoring, so authorities were unable to find him before he removed it.
He was also ordered to accept psychiatric treatment, including anti-libidinal medication, and avoid public places regularly frequented by children.
Inspector Mark Lavers says Cornwall poses a potential risk to the public due to his behaviour.
“He’d removed his anklet so he’s breached his home detention order so he was therefore wanted by us,” he said.
“He’ll be dealt with by probation and parole, and by investigating detectives from Parramatta”.
Cornwall had been on a series of interim detention orders since his sentence expired, while the New South Wales Government applied to have him kept in jail for another five years.
In allowing his appeal yesterday, the court said the judge failed to make a clear finding that a lighter, five-year supervision order would not provide adequate protection.
The court noted Cornwall had undergone sex offender courses in jail.
But the move was condemned by the New South Wales Opposition, which said the Government had not developed the appropriate criteria for courts to decide if sex offenders deserve extended detention periods.
Cornwall is due to face Wollongong Local Court later today.
NSW Police Commissioner Scipione has congratulated the off-duty officer, whose efforts he says were “outstanding”.
“It just shows that police never are really off-duty,” he said.
Seven of eight stolen monkeys found
Police have recovered seven rare monkeys stolen from a wildlife park south of Sydney on the weekend, but they are still looking for an eighth.
The four cotton top tamarins and four pygmy marmosets were stolen late on Saturday night from the park at Helensburgh.
Chief Inspector Mark Lavers says officers found three tamarins in a cage dumped in parkland in Auburn after seizing a car they believed was used in the theft.
“The monkeys were recovered in a fairly cold and distressed condition,” he said.
“They were returned to Symbio who then took them to the vet and a further four monkeys were located by detectives last night, again in the Auburn area.”
The Park’s owner, John Radnidge says the marmosets could have died had police not acted quickly.
“These animals come from a tropical rainforest climate and they need their heat and specialised diets,” he said.
“They were left in a paddock, they were freezing cold, the detectives were so concerned about their well being that they returned them to us at our Helensburgh premises under police escort.”
The four marmosets had been left at a veterinary clinic.
Police have yet to charge anyone over the theft and have asked for public help to find the remaining tamarin.
Detectives can be contacted via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000