Australian Police

Australian Police

The Thin Blue Line – Australian Police

2023ArticlesCadetClassDeceased PoliceFacialFormer PoliceFuneralGenderIn UniformIncompleteMaleNoNSWPhotosReunionStateUnknownWall of RemembranceYear

Colin Patrick JOYCE


Colin Patrick JOYCE 


AKA  ?  

* Nickname:  ?

Late of Nowra, NSW



Relations in ‘the job’:

“possible” relation in ‘the job‘: P.E. JOYCE, NSWPF 19088   ?


NSW Police Training Centre – Redfern  –  Class #  ? ? ? 


NSW Police Cadet # 0360


New South Wales Police Force


Regd. #  5525


Rank: Commenced Training at Redfern Police Academy as a Police Cadet on Monday Friday 27 February 1942 ( aged 14 years, 11 months, 10 days )

Probationary Constable- appointed Monday 17 March 1947 ( aged 20 years, 0 months, 0 days )

Constable – appointed ? ? ? 

Constable 1st Class – appointed ? ? ? 

Detective – appointed ? ? ?

Senior Constable – appointed ? ? ? 

Leading Senior Constable – appointed ? ? ? ( N/A )

Sergeant 3rd Class – appointed 13 July 1962

Sergeant 2nd Class – appointed 5 October 1968

Sergeant 1st Class – appointed 17 January 1974

Inspector 3rd Class – appointed 3 May 1976

Senior Inspector – appointed 24 March 1981

Superintendent – appointed 27 September 1981

Chief Superintendent – appointed 30 May 1983


Final Rank: =  Chief Superintendent


Stations?, Newcastle ( 1950 ), Wauchope ( 1950 ), Clarence St – Sydney,  ?, Bourke ( 1966 )( Sgt ), ?, Research and Development section – Retirement


Time employed ( Paid ) with NSW Police:  From:  27 February 1942   to  23 March 1985 = 43 years, 0 months, 24 days

Service ( From Training Date ) period: From:  27 February 1942   to  23 March 1985 = 43 years, 0 months, 24 days Service



Retirement / Leaving age: = 58 years, 0 months, 6 days

Time in Retirement from Police: 38 years, 8 months, 26 days


Awards:  National Medal – granted 29 June 1984 ( C/Supt. )

Col JOYCE Colin JOYCE Colin Patrick JOYCE


 Born:  Thursday 17 March 1927 

Died on:  Tuesday 19 December 2023

Age:  96 years, 9 months, 2 days

Organ Donor:  No – age prohibitive 



Event location:   ?

Event / Diagnosis date ?


Funeral date? ? ?

Funeral location?




Wake location???

Wake date???



Funeral Parlour: ?


Buried at?

Grave LocationSection:          Row?         Plot?

Grave GPS?,       ?


Memorial / Plaque / Monument located at?

Dedication date of Memorial / Plaque / Monument: Nil – at this time ( January 2024 )



COL is NOT mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance * NOT JOB RELATED






May they forever Rest In Peace 

Australian Police YouTube Channel


Col JOYCE Colin JOYCE Colin Patrick JOYCE

NSW Police Cadets arriving at the Redfern Police Academy via the Stable entrance in 1945


NSW Police Cadet reunion - 1961
NSW Police Cadet reunion – 1961



* Story behind any Nickname:



On the 13 May, 1983, a meeting was held to propose the establishment of a police museum in police premises in Phillip Street, Sydney. The museum was to be a joint project between the Police Department and the Justice Department. While the emphasis
of the museum at this stage was on the police, Mr. Watkins of the Justice Department requested that the museum be referred to as the Police Justice Historical Museum. The committee resolved to write to the Treasury and the Premier’s Department requesting that a representative from Treasury be appointed to the committee and Mr. P. Bickerstaff was appointed as Treasury’s representative on the committee. The committee held another meeting on the 17 June, 1983. The committee members now consisted of, Inspector G.B. Stone, Police Public Relations Branch. L.F. Vineburg, Secretary of the Police Department. P. Bickerstaff, Treasury. R. Hammond, Police Public Relations Branch. L. Haroldson, Department of Attorney General and of Justice. J. Parker-Smith, Police Public Relations Branch. A. Race, Police Properties Branch. I. Sansom, Public Works Department and Mr. Watkins, Department of Attorney General and of Justice.

Mrs. M.E. Smidt, Executive Officer, Police Department, also attended the meeting. I. Sansom, of the Public Works Department had replaced Mr. L. Glendenning.   F. Saillard, Chairman of the NSW Police Historical Society, was invited to represent the Society and was appointed to the committee in July, 1983. As the years went by, committee members would change and Deputy Commissioner Barney Ross also eventually served on the committee.

A letter was sent to the Public Service Board on the 28 June, 1983, advising that the police museum committee had been formed. The Attorney General also wrote to the Acting Premier outlining the proposal to establish the Police Justice Historical Museum in the Phillip Street police buildings. The proposal affected the existing police station, the Court complex and the building which accommodated the Health Department’s STD (sexually transmitted diseases) clinic. The premises were used as a Water Police Court in 1856, Water Police Station in 1858 and a Police Court in 1886. It was proposed that the Police Band and the Crime Prevention Unit would occupy the Health Department building when the STD clinic was relocated. The Police Pipe Band and the Police Choir were also considered as suitable occupiers of the complex. But there was a concern that musical rehearsals would disrupt court proceedings. The Police Pipe Band was formed in 1946, on approval by Commissioner of Police William MacKay and the Police Choir was formed in the 1930s.

Bicentennial funding was being sought from the Federal Government to finance the building works and a submission was presented to the Bicentennial Authority. On the 21 st June, 1984, the Premier’s Department wrote to the Attorney General’s Department confirming that the Police Justice Museum was included on the schedule of Bicentennial projects and was seeking confirmation that the project was going to proceed.

In January, 1984, it was estimated that the project would cost over $4 million, which included $917,000 for the court house, $1,300,000 for the police station and $2,666,000 for the STD clinic. The project was expected to take at least 2 years.

In 1984, Chief Superintendent Col Joyce, who was Vice Chairman of the New South Wales Region of the International Police Association (IPA), wrote to the museum committee asking if the IPA could be accommodated in the police museum complex. The IPA was after an office to undertake administrative work, a room for holding IPA meetings, an area to exhibit police memorabilia and access to an area where functions could be held. At the museum committee meeting held on the 5 July, 1984, it was resolved to write to the IPA and advise that the IPA’s request would be considered before finalisation of the plans for the police museum complex. The NSW Police Historical Society also wanted to be accommodated in the building, as did some other organizations that were not really police orientated. The committee also received a proposal from Phillip Ballantine-Jones who was seeking a franchise to run a police museum in the Phillip Street complex as a tourist activity. It was considered that the Ballantine-Jones proposal was not in line with what the Police Department proposed.

Source:  Police Heritage story by Phil Patterson ( 2008 )


Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 – 2001),

Friday 17 June 1966 (No.60), page 2392

The 27th day of May, 1966

BY virtue of the authority vested in me by the District Courts Act, 1912 – 1955 (as amended) I hereby appoint Sergeant Colin Patrick Joyce as Bailiff of the District Court holden at Bourke for a period of three months during the absence of Mr McKenzie.

R. J. M. NEWTON, Judge.


Western Herald (Bourke, NSW : 1887 – 1970),

Friday 1 May 1964, page 1



Sgt. C. Joyce ( of Sydney ) has been added to the local Police Force in place of Sgt. Cordner ( J.A. CORDNER  # 5463 ), who was transferred to Kandos.


Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners’ Advocate (NSW : 1876 – 1954),

Friday 17 August 1951, page 2


The following transfers of police in the North-eastern Division have been notified:-  Constables C. P. Joyce, Wauchope to Clarence-street, Sydney; M. P. Byrnes, Clarence-street to Wauchope; A. C. Newport, Tarcutta to West Kempsey; J. A. McDonald, Regent-street to Muswellbrook: G. R. Campbell, Gosford to Tamworth; K. A. Rhodes, Tamworth to Gosford; W. T. Coombes, Newcastle to Phillip-street, Sydney.


Macleay Chronicle (Kempsey, NSW : 1899 – 1952),

Wednesday 12 July 1950, page 1

Coronial Inquiry


At Wauchope Court House on July 3 Mr. James Wallace, District Coroner held an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr. Isaac McLeod, aged 79 years, and returned a finding that deceased met his death on 9th June when he was accidentally drowned at McLennan’s Falls, whilst endeavouring to cross the Hastings River.

Dr. William Begg, Government Medical Officer at Wauchope, said: On 13th June, 1950, I viewed the body of the deceased Isaac McLeod on the river bank at Gannon’s Creek, 11 miles west of Wauchope. The body was that of a man about 70 years of age, was well nourished, and there were no marks of external violence further than could be expected from drifting down the river for a mile and a half. I would say the body had the appearance of being in the water for three or four days and in my opinion I would say, from the external examination, that death was due to drowning.

Henry Reuben McLeod, carrier of Dungay Creek, via Kempsey; stated: I am son of the deceased Isaac McLEOD, and the last time I saw him alive was about three months ago in Sydney and he was then in good health. He was in the habit of travelling about the country in a horse-drawn caravan and when I last heard of him he was at Woolbrook, near Tamworth. I knew he was going to travel through to Kempsey. On 13th June, 1950, I identified my father’s body after it had been recovered from the Hastings River at Gannon’s Creek, about 11 miles west of Wauchope. I identified the caravan and the property with it as my father’s. My father left a will of which I am one of the executors. He did not, as far as I know have any life insurance.

John Francis Royan, farmer, of Gannon’s Creek deposed: On the 9th June, 1950, at about 9.50 a.m. an elderly man driving a horse-drawn caravan called at my home. He remained there for about half an hour. He asked was it safe to cross the river and I had a look at it from the bank above. It seemed quite safe to cross. I asked him if he had a reliable horse, and he told me that wherever his horse could put its feet it could go. He then started off towards the river. That was the last I saw of that man. The following morning I was informed that the horse and van was in the river. I went down noticed the horse and caravan in deep water about 70 yards below the crossing. I noticed the tracks of the caravan leading to the water where the recognised crossing was, and where I directed him to cross. At the time I was speaking to the deceased he appeared to be in good health and spirits. I am familiar with this crossing where the deceased attempted to cross. At the deepest it would be about three feet deep and it is about 50 yards wide. The bottom of the crossing consists of gravel and round, water-washed, slippery stones. I would say that the crossing would be quite safe for a horse that was used to water. I have found that some horses are frightened when they get into water and they would fight back. In my opinion the horse must have become unmanageable and the reins must have come out of his hands, or got caught, which caused the horse to head downstream into the deeper water. I would say that a man would naturally try and get out and go to the horse’s head in a case like that. I saw the body after it had been removed from the water. It was the body of the man who called at my house on 9th June. I was present when the body was moved from the water and knew that it was Isaac McLeod.

Constable Colin Patrick Joyce, of Wauchope Police, stated: On June 13, 1950, I was present at Gannon’s Creek when the body of Isaac McLeod was removed from the waters of the Hastings River. I remained with the body until his son, Henry Reuben McLeod, identified the body as that of Isaac McLeod his father. The doctor and Coroner then arrived and viewed the body. I took possession of the property found on the deceased and brought it to Wauchope Police Station. I could not see any marks of violence on the body.

George Caelli, timber worker, of Gannon’s Creek, said: On 13th June, 1950, I was pulling a boat up the Hastings River about a mile and a half below McLennan’s Falls which is about 11 miles west of Wauchope. I noticed the body of a man caught on the limb of a tree a few feet under the surface of the water. I then went and notified Constable Joyce. — ‘Hasting’s Gazette.’


Newcastle Sun (NSW : 1918 – 1954),

Monday 20 March 1950, page 10

Court at Newcastle

(Before Mr. R. A. Hardwicke. S.M.)


IMPOSITION CHARGE ” Although I am dismissing this charge against you this time, I will show you no mercy if you come be fore me on a similar charge,” Mr. R. A. Hardicke, S.M., warned Francis Alexander Grant.

Grant was charged with unlawfully imposing on Constable Colin Patrick Joyce, of Newcastle police, by falsely representing that the proceeds of a book he was selling would be devoted to the Totally and Permanently Disabled Soldiers’ Fund.

On a second charge of offensive behavior ( sic ) he was fined £5.

” As you claim to be a partly incapacitated soldier yourself, your offence was mean and dispicable ( sic ),” Mr. Hardwicke continued. ” By using the unselfish record of those men, who have devoted the greater part of their lives to helping returned soldiers who are unable to help themselves, you sold books for your own gain,” the magistrate told Grant.

” I am a digger myself,” Grant replied. ” I receive a pension and I have T.B.”

” I saw no harm in what I was doing, but was trying to raise a little extra money before going back to Yaralla for treatment,” he added.

Constable J. W. Fairfull ( # 5422 ), ‘who arrested Grant, said that Newcastle R.S.L. Council was concerned at the unlawful sales of these books, as genuine collectors were received with distrust.

When arrested, Constable Fairfull said, Grant asked ” for a break ” as he was only trying to earn an ” honest bob.”


Nothing further, than what is recorded above, is known about this person at the time of publication and further information and photos would be appreciated.



31 January 2024



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *