Late of  ?

New South Wales Police Force

Regd. #  ???

Rank:  Constable 1st Class

Stations: ?, Bathurst ( entire Service )

ServiceFrom  ? ? 1853  to  18 January 1892 = 39 years Service

Awards:  No find on It’s An Honour

Born? January 1832 in Ireland

Died on:  Thursday  11 February 1892

Age:  60

Cause:  Influenza – On Duty

Event location:   Piper St, Bathurst

Event date:   ? October 1891 ( contracted influenza )

Funeral date:  Sunday  14 February 1892

Funeral location?

Buried at?

 Memorial located at?



[alert_yellow]SEWELL is NOT mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance[/alert_yellow]  *NEED MORE INFO





May they forever Rest In Peace


Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW : 1851 – 1904), Wednesday 20 April 1892, page 2
The Late Constable Sewell. — We are glad to learn from Mr. Superintendent Sanderson that Miss Sewell has received £225 from the Police Superannuation Fund, into which her late brother paid contributions for so many years before his death. The payment was made before the paragraph referring to the late Constable Sewell appeared in the Free Press, but the person from whom the circumstances upon which that paragraph was based were obtained could not have been apprised of the fact.
Freeman’s Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1850 – 1932), Saturday 27 February 1892, page 19
Ex-residents of Bathurst will hear with much regret of the death of Constable Sewell. As he had attained his 60th year, he, early in January, retired from the services but; has not drawn any pay; Constable Sewell was the oldest officer in the police force in the west, and was as greatly respected as he was widely known.
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners’ Advocate (NSW : 1876 – 1954) , Monday 22 February 1892, page 4
CONSTABLE EDWARD SEWELL, who for nearly 40 years figured in the police court at Bathurst, died last week. A few months ago he was taken ill with the influenza, and only last month retired from the force on superannuation.
Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW : 1851 – 1904), Friday 12 February 1892, page 2
Death of Constable Sewell.—
The friends of Constable Sewell will hear with surprise and regret of his death. The deceased contracted influenza in October last, and for a long while was prostrated with the disease. One of his sisters also took ill at the time and died, and this had a depressing effect upon him. And after being confined to his room for a number of weeks, he recovered sufficiently to walk down town, but he was then very feeble, and was not able to again resume duty.
As be had attained his 60th year, he, early in January, retired from the service, but has not drawn any pay.
Constable Sewell was the oldest officer in the police force in the west, and was as greatly respected as he was widely known.
Not only did he year after year do his duty faithfully in the street as one of the foot police, but in the Supreme Court his face and voice wore familiar to every judge and court official and attendant during the last quarter of a century.
He was respected by his superior officers, but did not attain to anything like prominence in the force, never having risen above the rank of first-class constable.
His sister, Miss Sewell, alone survives him, and the public greatly sympathise with her in the bereavements which she has been called upon to pass through recently.

National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW : 1889 – 1954), Friday 12 February 1892, page 3


About seven o’clock last evening Constable Sewell, who was the oldest police constable in the Bathurst District, died at his residence in Piper-street. It will be remembered that in October last the deceased was stricken down with influenza, and since then had been confined in his house through relapses. He was nursed by his sister, Miss Sewell, and attended by Dr. Spencer, who did all he could to alleviate his sufferings.

On January 18 be retired from the force, after being in the service for upwards of 30 years. Constable Sewell, who joined the New South Wales Police in 1853, was, perhaps, the senior member in the colony.

He entered the ranks in Bathurst as a private constable, and during the whole of that period had been on duty in the town.

At Assize time he was always a prominent figure in the Circuit Court, attending on the Judge and swearing in the witnesses. It was really in the performance of that duty that he caught the influenza in October last, as he was taken ill during the last sittings, when the Chief Justice (Sir Frederick Darley) presided.

When the railway was opened to Bathurst, in 1869, by the Acting-Governor (Sir Alfred Stephen), Constable Sewell was on duty, and being well-known to Sir Alfred, was accosted in the street and a kindly word of recognition exchanged. During his recent and last illness, Sir. Alfred wrote expressing his sympathy and enquiring after his health.

Sewell. who was a man of unobtrusive habits, never pushed himself forward, but simply performed his duty, and it is due to that fact that he failed to rise above the rank of a first-class constable.

Having in January last reached the age of 60 years, he had retired from the force, and consequently become entitled to his pension of full pay ; but he had not drawn one penny up to the time of his death, so that although he had paid into the Superannuation Fund since its establishment he had received no benefit: Miss Sewell was, we believe, dependant upon him, and if her brother had not retired a few weeks ago, would have been, according to the regulations, entitled to compensation from the Superannuation Fund.

It is understood that representations will be made to the proper quarters in this matter.

The deceased was spoken highly of by his superior officers on the Bathurst station, and his comrades were all shocked last evening when it became known that he had passed away.

He was a native of Ireland and entered the police at 21 years of age. The funeral, we understand, will take place on Sunday.


National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW : 1889 – 1954), Saturday 7 November 1891, page 3


Notwithstanding the abatement of influenza in the number of cases, the epidemic is still very prevalent in our midst, and it is with deep regret we record the death of Miss Sewell from its effect. Deceased was a devoted sister, and the respect in which she was held was testified by the large number who attended her funeral yesterday afternoon.

Her brother, Constable Sewell, is still seriously ill, and his friends fear that the terrible effect which his sister’s death has had upon him will not strengthen his chances of recovery.


Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW : 1851 – 1904), Thursday 13 August 1891, page 3

Brief Mention.

The melodious voice of Constable Sewell was again heard in the court this morning. As he proceeded to administer the oath to a Chinese interpreter his hearers were reminded of the prominent place he took at one time in the higher courts.

Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW : 1851 – 1904), Wednesday 15 May 1861, page 2

Bathurst Police Court


MONDAY. May 13th (Before Dr. Palmer, P.M., Thomas Lee and G. F. Wise. Esqrs., J.Ps.) DRUNKENNESS.

Edward Orris was brought before the Bench by Constable Sewell, charged with the above offence. Fined 40s. and 1s. costs; in default, 48 hours’ incarceration.

Please follow and like us:
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x