Late of  ?

New South Wales Police Force

Regd. #   ‘ Q ‘  7475

For the purposes of this website ‘Q‘ represents those Police joining between 1862 ( commencement of NSWPF ) – 23 February 1915 ( Commencement of NSWPF current numbering system )

Rank:  Probationary Constable

Stations:  Redfern Police

ServiceFrom  25 January 1900  to  21 April 1900 = 2+ MONTHS Service

Awards:   ?

Born:   ? ? 1875 in Wales

Died on:   Saturday  21 April 1900

Age:  28

Cause:   Accidentally entangled with a rotating circular saw

Event location:  Fresh Food and Ice Company Ltd premises, Harbor and Liverpool Streets, Sydney

Event date:  Saturday  21 April 1900

Funeral date:   ? ? ?

Funeral location:   ?

Funeral Parlour:  ?

Buried at:   Rookwood Necropolis in an unmarked grave

 Memorial located at:   ?



 [alert_red]FRANK is NOT mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance[/alert_red]  * BUT SHOULD BE

[alert_green]FRANK IS mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance[/alert_green] as of 2017



 Funeral location TBA





May they forever Rest In Peace


Probationary Constable Frank EVANS
Redfern Police
Industrial Accident
21 April, 1900 – 118 years ago
Resting Place – Unknown

About 6am on 21 April, 1900 the constable was on foot patrol in Liverpool Street, Sydney, near Byrne’s Wharf. He apparently walked into the Fresh Food and Ice Company Ltd premises and while examining large circular saws in operation, his cape was caught by a saw blade and he was dragged onto it and almost cut in half.

The Evening News of 23 April, 1900 reported the constable’s horrific death.


The City Coroner held an inquest on Saturday, at the South Sydney Morgue, concerning the death of Frank Evans, the unfortunate man who, early on Saturday morning, was almost cut in halves by a circular saw at the premises of the Fresh Food and Ice Company, Limited, Harbor and Liverpool Streets.

Sergeant J. H. Day, of No. 2 Station, deposed that deceased was a probationary constable attached to the depot. According to the police records, he was 28 years of age, a native of Wales, and a single man, who had no relatives in the colony.

Witness saw him on duty about ten minutes to 5 on Saturday morning in Liverpool Street, near Byrne’s Wharf, and witness then stationed him opposite the premises of the Fresh Food and Ice Company, in Liverpool Street.

An hour later witness saw the deceased lying dead near an ice-cutting machine in the company’s shed. Deceased, in the sergeant’s opinion was a very intelligent man.

John Harnett, the foreman delivery labourer at the ice-cutting shed, said that on Saturday morning he was in charge of the ice-cutting machines. Deceased got on to the platform on which the saws were working, and walked into the sheds, and looked at the machines. He afterwards stooped down, and watched the cutting process.

The witness then gave an account of the accident, practically identical with that already published in Saturday’s ‘News.’

Witness did not allow strangers to go into the premises unless on business, but he took no exception to the deceased doing so, as he was a constable.

Prior to the accident witness had no time to warn Evans of his danger, as everything happened so quickly.

The distance between the two sets of saws was about 6ft.

After further evidence of a corroborative character, the jury returned a verdict to the effect that death was due to injuries received by accidentally coming in contact with a circular saw at the works of the Fresh Food and Ice Company, in Liverpool Street.

The constable was born in Wales in 1875 and joined the New South Wales Police Force on 25 January, 1900. He was stationed at the Redfern Police Depot.

His death is recorded in the New South Wales Police Gazette of 30 May, 1900.

He is now listed in the official New South Wales Police Honour Roll.