Australian Police

Australian Police

The Thin Blue Line – Australian Police

2007ArticlesCauseCommittedCrematedDeceased PoliceDrugsFormer PoliceFuneralGenderIllnessLocationMaleNoOf eventPhotosStateSuicideVicWall of RemembranceYear

Patrick HEARN


Patrick HEARN

Victoria Police Force

Regd. #   10387

Rank:  Superintendent – retired

Stationsspent most of his Service with the Fingerprint Unit, O.I.C. Doncaster, Kew, Prahran, Supt: Essendon, Acting Chief Superintendent for District of Ivanhoe

ServiceFrom  5 August 1948  to  26 May 1987 = 40 years Service

Served in Cyprus from May 1969 – May 1970

Awards:  National Medal – granted 10 September 1986

Police Overseas Service Medal – Clasp CYPRUS – granted 8 July 1992

Born:  25 May 1927 in U.K., Brackley, Northants

Missing:  Since Wednesday  6 June 2007  ( Anniversary of Pat meeting his wife – Sally )

Body located:   3 March 2010 – High St, Lower Templestowe, Victoria

Died on:  it is assumed that Pat may have died on Wednesday 6 June 2007

Age:  80

Cause:  Suicide – most probably medication overdose

Memorial ceremony :  25 May 2008

Funeral date:  16 March 2010

Funeral location?

Buried at:  Cremated

 Memorial at:  Pat’s Ashes were sprinkled in the surf at Separation Creek where he regularly body surfed on the 6 June 2010 – being the Anniversary of his disappearance

[alert_yellow]PATRICK is NOT mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance[/alert_yellow]  *NEED MORE INFO







May they forever Rest In Peace


Closure for family – Doncaster man Patrick Hearn’s remains found

Missing Doncaster resident Patrick Hearn has been identified as the man whose remains were found behind bushes next to High St in Lower Templestowe.

Mr Hearn, a former Doncaster police superintendent and United Nations peace-keeper, went missing after leaving his Doncaster home on Wednesday, June 6, 2007, leaving his family baffled.

[divider_dotted]     23 March 2010

The skeletal remains of Patrick Hearn, 80, a 40 year veteran of Victoria Police, was discovered this month under shrubs next to busy Hight St.

Family claim Patrick Hearn left home to die because euthanasia is illegal.

A FORMER police superintendent missing for almost three years wandered off from his family and lay under a bush in suburban Melbourne to die because euthanasia is illegal, his family claims.

The skeletal remains of Patrick Hearn, 80, a 40-year veteran of Victoria Police, was discovered this month under shrubs next to busy High St in Lower Templestowe.

The discovery shocked residents and officials in the heavily populated area.

Mr Hearn, who suffered depression and had told his family he didn’t want to burden them or end up in a retirement home, disappeared on June 6, 2007, the 38th anniversary of the day he met his wife Sally.

Mr Hearn left his home in the early hours of the morning with some medication and never returned.

Sally Hearn said Patrick died a cold and lonely death because of the illness he suffered and his decision not to break the law.

“We all say if voluntary euthanasia had been legal we could have all been with him and he could have gone peacefully, not exhausted, lonely, cold and wet on that awful night of rain and frost,” Mrs Hearn told the Manningham Leader last week.

Son Royden Hearn said his father was an “old school” man who chose not to tell his family or say a final goodbye because he would have been prevented from leaving.

“He decided to write his own chapter and he did … if euthanasia wasn’t such a huge crime he probably would have been able to sit in his favourite armchair and say goodbye,” he said.





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *