son of Arthur Alfred Jacob WILLMOTT

Late of 2 Powell St, Bankstown – formerly of Corrimal?

New South Wales Police Force

Regd. #  ????

Rank:  Constable – Sergeant

Senior Constable – appointed 13 May 1914

StationsRegent St ( # 2 Division ),  Parramatta ( # 18 Division ),

On Tuesday 15 December 1891 was a Constable at Albion Park and Authorised to Prosecute for Trespassers on Crown Lands

On Monday 9 May 1892 was a Constable at Albion Park and appointed an Inspector of Slaughter Houses

Reported to be the FIRST policeman in Corrimal

On Saturday 20 February 1897 he is mentioned as a Constable in the Electoral Revision CourtWollongong Division.

On Tuesday 30 August 1898 was a Constable at Corrimal and appointed an Inspector of Slaughter Houses.

On Saturday 11 March 1899 was a Constable at Corrimal and Authorised to Prosecute for Trespassers on Crown Lands.

On Thursday 30 March 1899 was a Constable 1st Class at Corrimal and appointed an Inspector under the “Tobacco Act”

On Friday 27 April 1900 was a Constable 1st Class at Corrimal and appointed an Inspector under the “Gunpowder & Explosives Consolidation Act of 1876”

On Friday 9 February 1906 was Constable 1st Class at Corrimal and appointed under the “Liquor Act”

On Wednesday 20 November 1907 was a Constable at Corrimal

On Wednesday 15 February 1911 was Constable 1st Class at Corrimal and Authorised to Prosecute for trespassers on Crown Lands

On Wednesday 13 August 1913 was Constable 1st Class at Corrimal

Sergeant – Corrimal O.I.C.

ServiceFrom  ? ? 1886  to  ? ? 1916 = 30 years Service

Awards:  Imperial Service Medal – granted 20 March 1919

Born:  9 October 1859 in Warminster, Somerset shire, England

Died on:  Tuesday  9 August 1932

Age:  72


Event location:   ?, Sydney

Event date:   Tuesday  9 August 1932

Funeral dateThursday  11 August 1932

Funeral locationRookwood Crematorium

Buried at:  Cremated

 Memorial located at?

Ref Trove SMH dated 11 Aug 1932, p7; Arr Free; Occ Royal Marines, Police Force; Received a gallantry award in saving a life at the Mt Kembla mine disaster on 31 July 1902


Jacob Willmott with his sons Jack (left) and Arthur (right); Jacob Willmott was the first police sergeant at Corrimal.<br /> 1920
Jacob Willmott with his sons Jack (left) and Arthur (right); Jacob Willmott was the first police sergeant at Corrimal.


Wedding of A Willmott, son of Jacob Willmott; Back row from left: Mr Walters, Miss Shepherd, Bride, Miss Shepherd, .A. Willmott. Sitting from left: Mrs Walters, H. Willmott, A. Willmott, J. Willmott, Mrs Shepherd (sister of the bride and mother of the Misses Shepherd).<br /> ca. 1912<br />
Wedding of A Willmott, son of Jacob Willmott; Back row from left: Mr Walters, Miss Shepherd, Bride, Miss Shepherd, . A. Willmott. Sitting from left: Mrs Walters, Harriett Willmott, Arthur Willmott, J. Willmott, Mrs Shepherd (sister of the bride and mother of the Misses Shepherd).
ca. 1912


[alert_yellow]JACOB is NOT mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance[/alert_yellow]  *NEED MORE INFO






May they forever Rest In Peace


BDM:  10926/1932

Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954),

Saturday 13 August 1932, page 14


Ex-Sergeant Jacob Willmott who died on Tuesday aged 72 years was born in Somerset shire, England.

He joined the Royal Marines and saw service in many warships including the Valiant which was one of England’s first Ironclads.

The later years of his naval career were spent with the H M S Miranda on the Australian station. He obtained his discharge from that warship in 1886 and during the same year joined the New South Wales police force and was stationed at Regent street (city), Parramatta, Albion Park and Wollongong.

He was the first policeman stationed at Corrimal and it was from there that he retired in 1916.

He became special Inquiry officer in the A.I.F. completing 3½ years service in 1920

He is survived by one son. The funeral took place on Thursday at the Crematorium and was attended by a large number of metropolitan and South Coast friends.


South Coast Times and Wollongong Argus (NSW : 1900 – 1954),

Friday 12 August 1932, page 13


Sergeant Jacob Willmott; formerly officer-in-charge of Corrimal police station for many years, died in Sydney on Tuesday, aged 72 years. One son, Arthur is a police sergeant at Burwood. His wife predeceased him a few months ago.


Main Title: Golden moments of yesteryear [newspaper article]
Source: Illawarra Mercury [microform], Monday, 28 April 1969, p. 19.
Summary: Part of a series of photographs from the turn of the 19th/20th centuries (1900). This issue includes: picnic group, a collier preparing to moor alongside Bellambi coal jetty, Thirroul looking from Bulli way (includes Ryan’s Hotel), Jacob Willmott in 1916 (reputed to be Corrimal’s first policeman).
Language: English
Article Length: 1/2 page to page
Article Type: Feature
Article Graphics: Illustrations
Subject: Illawarra — Social life and customs — 20th century — Pictorial works
Jetties — New South Wales — Bellambi — Pictorial works
Thirroul (N.S.W.) — History — 20th century
Police — New South Wales — Corrimal
Willmott, Jacob — Pictorial works
Average Rating: No reviews available as yet
Add your review
Bookmark This Record: http://mylibrary.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/ENQ/OPAC/BIBENQ?BRN=262032



South Coast Times and Wollongong Argus (NSW : 1900 – 1954),

Friday 6 May 1932, page 10

Bulli – Woonona

The remains of the late Mrs. Willmott, whose death is reported elsewhere, were interred in the C. of E. cemetery, Woonona, on Wednesday afternoon, alongside her son, Jack.
Rev. Turner administered the last sad rites and the chief mourners were the husband, Jacob Willmott, and son and daughter-in-law, Arthur and Ada.
The pall-bearers were old and intimate friends of the family — Messrs A. V. Green, A. Robb, R. Moore and J. Fitzgerald.
There was a wealth of floral tributes from friends in all parts of the State.
Those at the graveside included Detective Dymock, Mrs. Coleman and family, Mr. and Mrs. Ted Sweeney, Mr. Fahey ( Bankstown ) and Messrs English and Barker.

Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954),

Tuesday 3 May 1932, page 7


WILLMOTT – The Relatives and friends of Mr JACOB WILLMOTT, of No 2 Powell street Bankstown (formerly of Corrimal) and Mr and Mrs ARTHUR A J WILLMOTT of Strathfield are kindly invited to attend the funeral of his late beloved WIFE and their MOTHER Harriett which will take place TO-MORROW (Wednesday) MORNING, at 11 o’clock in the Church of England Cemetery, Woonona.



Moree Gwydir Examiner and General Advertiser (NSW : 1901 – 1940),

Monday 1 August 1921, page 4

Coroner’s Inquiry.

An inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of James McPhee, who was found dead at the Moree District Hospital on Wednesday night last, was held before the Coroner ( Mr. P. P. Rosenthal ) on Friday.

Sergeant Eagleton deposed: About 10 o’clock on Wednesday night last, 27th inst., from something I was told, in company with Constable Kearney, I went to the Moree District Hospital. I there saw the deceased, James McPhee, in a sitting position in the bathroom. He had a large incised wound in his throat, and was quite dead. There was a razor ( produced ) lying on the floor in the bathroom, quite close to his right hand. There was a large quantity of blood on the floor and over his clothing, which consisted of a pair of pyjamas, an under and a top shirt, and pair of socks. I assisted to remove the body into the hospital morgue.

The deceased was a stranger in Moree.

To the Coroner: I made a search at the hospital of the deceased’s belongings and found a letter (produced) from his wife.

To Mr. Wlllmott (uncle of the deceased): The act was committed in the bathroom. I did not know the deceased.

Dr. Malcolm Frizell deposed: I first saw McPhee about a fortnight ago. He came round to my surgery and told me he was suffering from rheumatism. I advised him to go to the hospital. He was in a very weak state of health and was suffering a lot at pain. He complained of not being able to sleep at night on account of the pain, and I ordered him some sleeping powders.

On Wednesday night, 27th inst., at 10 p.m. I received a message from the Matron at the District Hospital, saying that McPhee had apparently committed suicide in the bathroom. I Informed the Sergeant of Police and went direct to the hospital. On my arrival there I saw McPhee sitting on a chair with his head against the wall. There was a large incised wound in his throat, and the large artery in the neck, the jugular vein, and windpipe were severed. Life was extinct, and death from the injury would probably occur within a few minutes. His right arm was hanging by his side and there was a blood-stained razor lying on the floor within a few inches of his right hand. There was a large pool of blood on the floor, and his clothes were soaked.

The cause of death, in my opinion, was haemorrhage caused by the wound in the throat.

To the Coroner: In my opinion, the wound was self-inflicted.

To the Police: The wound could have been inflicted by the razor (produced).

To Mr. Willmott: I saw the deceased on my rounds every morning at the hospital from the time of admission till his death. I never saw, at any time, any signs of insanity on the deceased.

Margaret Adeline Finn, certificated trained nurse, and matron of the Moree District Hospital, stated that deceased was admitted to the District Hospital on July 14. During the time the deceased was in the hospital he never did or said anything to lead me to believe he would commit suicide. On Wednesday last, 27th inst, I saw him about 8 o’clock. He was then in bed, but was not asleep. I had just given him a sleeping powder. About 25 minutes to ten o’clock I inquired as to his condition and was told that he was sleeping. About 10 o’clock, Nurse Hewson and Nurse Mulheron came to my room and informed me they thought McPhee had cut his throat in the bathroom. I went to the bathroom and found the deceased sitting on a chair with his head against the wall. There appeared to be a large wound in his neck, from which blood was dripping. His clothes were blood-stained. The chair on which he sat was also covered in blood. There were fingerprints in blood on the wall near where he was sitting. I saw a half opened razor on the floor near his right hand.

To the Police: The deceased possessed a razor. I have been informed that he had shaved himself whilst at the hospital. I locked the bathroom door and rang up the doctor.

To the Coroner: During the time the deceased had been under my observation he never gave me any reason to think he was other than an ordinary patient.

Lilian Mary Hewson, probationary nurse at the District Hospital, deposed: On the night of the 27th Inst. I was on night duty. I last saw the deceased in bed about 25 minutes to 10 p.m., in the men’s ward. I spoke to him, but he did not answer. I left the room and went to the kitchen. I again returned to the ward about fifteen minutes later. I walked past the deceased’s bed and noticed he was not in bed. I went to the lavatory to see if he was there. He was not there. I then looked around the verandah, and could not find him. I then looked around the ward, and not finding him I went to the bathroom. The door was closed. I pushed the door open and saw McPhee sitting on a chair, with his head against the wall. His clothes were blood-stained. I then informed the matron. I then returned to the bathroom and was present when the body was removed to the morgue.

To the Police: I could not say whether he had a razor in his locker or not, or whether he had a shave whilst he was In the hospital. During the time he was in the hospital, he seemed to be quite all right mentally.

George Barrett, shearer, at present an inmate of the Moree District Hospital, deposed: I know the deceased, McPhee, in Sydney. On Tuesday last, 26th inst., I had a conversation with the deceased, about 3 o’clock. I said to him, “Have you done no good regarding your health?” He said, ”No.” I said, “It is a wonder you don’t go back to Sydney, where your friends are.” He said, “If I went back to Sydney I would put myself over the Gap.” He then said, “I am pretty well a done man, and in so much misery I would just as soon cut my throat now.” I said, “Don’t talk like that, Jim ; there is always a chance.” That ended the conversation.

To the Police: I never mentioned the conversation I had with him to the Matron.

To the Coroner: When he made the threats mentioned above I did not believe he was in earnest or I would have reported the matter.

Jacob Willmott, retired police sergeant, residing at Glebe, Sydney, deposed : I arrived in Moree this morning in company with the deceased’s wife, and went to the Moree District Hospital and was taken by the Matron to the morgue. The deceased’s wife and myself went in and saw the deceased, whom we identified to be James McPhee. I have been residing in the same house as the deceased and his wife and mother-in-law, also my wife, for about two years. About ten months ago he had a very bad attack of influenza. He was ill for about six weeks. He then went out on the cab rank again and started work. He got wet two or three days following and had to give up work again. He had very severe pains at the back of the head and in his left shoulder. Dr. Sydney Jones was called in and prescribed for him, but he seemed to get worse. He was then taken to the Sydney Hospital, and was later in Little Bay Hospital for eight weeks. He was then taken home. Eventually he came to Moree, on the advice of doctors to try the bore baths — about May 22.

We had several letters from him reporting his condition.

To the Coroner : There was nothing in his letters to lead me to believe that he contemplated taking his life.

To the Police: The deceased was about 39 years of age. The deceased’s life was Insured in the T. and G. Insurance Company for about £40. Deceased owned a cab and horse but no harness. He was of temperate habits.

The Coroner found that the deceased died from haemorrhage from a wound in the throat wilfully self-inflicted. He added a rider to the effect that no blame could be attached to the staff of the hospital.


Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954),

Wednesday 2 July 1919, page 10

WILLMOTT .- July 1, at R.P.A. Hospital. Sydney. John Thomas Willmott, ( late 20th Batt. A.I.F. ) dearly loved husband of Mary Adelaide (Molly ) Willmott of Fairmount street, Lakemba, aged 28 years.

WILLMOTT.- July 1, 1919, at R.P.A. Hospital, Sydney, John Thomas ( late A.I.F. ) dearly loved son of ex-Sergeant of Police Jacob Willmott late of Corrimal. South Coast, and brother of Constable A. J. Willmott of Chatswood police, aged 23 years.


Sun (Sydney, NSW : 1910 – 1954),

Wednesday 19 March 1919, page 8


Police and Prisons Officials DISTINGUISHED SERVICES

The Governor ( Sir Walter Davidson ) presented Imperial Service Medals to retired members of the police force and prisons department at the police depot this afternoon. Below are summaries of the official records of the services and deeds of the recipients.

Medals for proficiency in life-saving were also gained by 23 constables.

SERGT. JACOB WILLMOTT. — During his 30 years service in the police force he was instrumental in securing the arrest and conviction of several notorious offenders. He earned the commendation of his officers for the manner in which he performed his duties in connection with the Mount Kembla disaster in 1902.


Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 – 2001),

Friday 19 July 1918 (No.89), page 3474

[322] Premier’s Department,

Sydney, 19th July, 1918.

HIS Excellency the Governor directs it to be notified that he has received Despatch from the Secretary of State for the Colonies, intimating that His Majesty the King has been pleased to approve of the grant of Imperial Service Medals to the undermentioned ex-officers of the New South Wales Public Service: —

Late of Police Department:— Mr. James Hogg, Mr. Jacob Willmott, Mr. William McKinlay, Mr. James Cheney, Mr. Roger Meagher, Mr. Michael Hahesy.

Late of Prisons Department: Mr. Thomas Piper, Mr. Robert Howarth, Mr. Edward McBride.

Late of Audit Department:—Mr. Samuel Stumbles.




Singleton Argus (NSW : 1880 – 1954),

Saturday 28 June 1919, page 5


Solicitor Fined £10,

In the Central Summons Court on Thursday Mr Adrian gave his reserved decision in the case in which Jacob Willmott, of the Garrison Military Police, proceeded against Ernest Robert Abigail, solicitor, of 77 Castlereagh-street, Sydney.

The information alleged that on or about July 25 last the defendant contravened a provision of a regulation made in pursuance of the War Precautions Act, 3914-1916, in that he accepted by way of pledge an assignment of the right of an allottee, one Phyllis Hampsted, sometimes known as May Miller, to receive an allotment from the pay of Henry Miller, a soldier, enlisted for service during the present war.

Mr. Hardwick, who, instructed by the Commonwealth Crown Solicitor, appeared to prosecute, denied that he said at the previous hearing that Mr Abigail had done no wrong. What he said was that the Crown did not allege any sharp practice.

Mr Adrian said he had decided to convict, and taking all the circumstances into consideration, would impose a fine of £10, with £6/12/ costs; in default, one month’s imprisonment. Mr Parker, who represented Mr Abigail, said that the latter, who was at present indisposed, intended to contest the matter further.



Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954),

Thursday 20 March 1919, page 8



At the police depot in Bourke-street yesterday afternoon, the Governor ( Sir Walter Davidson ) presented Imperial Service Medals to a number of retired officers of the police and prisons department In recognition of distinguished conduct and meritorious service. Mr Fuller ( Chief Secretary ) and Mr Mitchell ( Inspector-General of Police ) were among those present. The following were the awards:

Police Force. – Ex-Superintendent Alfred Amos Sykes : ex-Sergeants Edmund Reid, Dennis Coates, James Hogg, James Cheney, Roger Meagher, Jacob Willmott, William McKinlay, and Constable Michael Hahesy.

Prisons’ Department. – Thomas Piper, Robert Howarth, Edward McBride, and Walter William Lammas.

In addition, 23 constables were recipients of the medallion of the Royal Life-saving Society.

Please follow and like us: