Australian Police

Australian Police

The Thin Blue Line – Australian Police

Missing Persons – Have you seen these people?


Table of Contents

Missing Persons Unit NSW Police

130 George Street
Parramatta NSW
Phone: (02) 9689 7388 or Toll Free 1 800 025 091
Fax: (02) 9689 7881

  • Every year 27,000 people are reported missing throughout Australia – 5,500 in NSW.
  • Sixty percent of missing persons are under 18 years of age.
  • About 70 percent of missing persons in NSW are located within three days and 86 percent within 14 days. The remaining 14 percent are classed as “long term” missing persons.
  • The NSW Police Force investigates every reported case where family or friends hold concerns for SAFETY and WELFARE once a missing persons report has been made at a police station.
  • The NSW Police Force’s Missing Persons Unit makes enquires on all cases from around the state as well as following up leads from interstate and international cases.
  • The Police Force has an exceptional clear up rate with 98 percent of missing person located.
  • But the unit would not be able to operate successfully or achieve the outstanding result without strong support from the public.
  • Police also receive ongoing support from a number of agencies including Family and Friends Of Missing Persons, The Salvation Army and Red Cross.

The Salvation Army Missing Persons Bureau

PO Box A435
South Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9266 9533
Fax: (02) 9266 9638

This Bureau searches for missing relatives and helps re-unite and reconcile family members.
It contacts relatives during family crises or medical emergencies.
The Bureau also provides a vital international service – as an international organization set up in 92 countries it can restore relationships from across the world.
The Salvation Army Missing persons Bureau does not accept enquires concerning legal cases, adoption or for juveniles under 16 years of age. It reserves the right to accept and reject any request for services based upon consideration, reasonable feasibility or motive.


Australian Red Cross Society Tracing Agency

159 Clarence Street
Sydney, NSW, 2000
Telephone: (02) 9229-4111
Fax: (02) 9229-4244

The Red Cross Tracing Agency in NSW works in conjunction with the National Headquarters and International Red Cross Tracing Agencies in Restoring contact between individuals and families separated during war, conflict or natural diasters.
When a tracing request is lodges in NSW, Red Cross undertakes to assemble and cross reference all available information about the missing person and thus help re-establish family contact.


Family and Friends of Missing Persons (INC)

PO Box 110
Berowra Heights NSW 2082
Phone: (02) 9465 1184
This groups provides comfort and support to families, aims to establish a national network of community support and liaises with other agencies.


Missing Persons Committee (INC)

PO Box 276
Turramurra NSW 2074
Members help organise the National Missing Person Week and increase public awareness.
Committee members include representatives from the NSW Police Missing Persons Unit, The Salvation Army, Red Cross, Sydney City Mission, Institute of Criminology, International Social Services, Family and Friends of Missing Persons and Lions Identikid.


International Social Services (NSW)

Phone: (02) 9267 3450
Fax: (02) 9267 3638
ISS helps people who because of forced or voluntary migration face personal or family problems.
Services include tracing and counselling internationally in cases of: separated families; problems arising out of divorce such as custody or maintenance and where partner is overseas; help fostered or adopted people obtain details about natural parents overseas.


Checklist for relatives of Missing Persons

  • Do you have a recent photograph of family members.
  • List of names, address and telephone numbers of friends and business associates.
  • Likely destinations and favourite places of missing person.
  • If a car is involved, have a full description as well as registration number.
  • Medical conditions and medication required.
  • Full description, height, weight, colour of eyes and hair.

Early Warning Signs

  • Continual non-attendance at school or absence from work.
  • Sudden change of friends.
  • Secretive or mysterious calls.
  • Change in behaviour patterns, i.e.: displays of aggression, depression or withdrawing from family and friends.
  • turning to or increasing intake of drugs or alcohol.
  • Increase in family conflicts.
  • Threats to leave home or run away.


  • Never hitch-hike.
  • Educate children about personal safety.
  • Advise family and friends of intended movements and provide itineraries for holidays.
  • Never hesitate to seek advice or ask for help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *