Sharon Louise WILSON


Sharon Louise WILSON

( late of Uralla )

New South Wales Police Force

Regd. # ?????

RankProbationary Constable

Academy Class 215 & Sub Class 236

Stations:  Leeton

Awards? Nil

Born:  1968

Age:  20

Service:  9 May 1988 to 30 November 1988 = 6+ months Service

Cause of death:  Accidentally Shot – by collegue – Service weapon

Location of incident:  inside Leeton Police Station

Location of Death:  Wagga Wagga Base Hospital

Died:  Wednesday  30 November 1988

Funeral:  Monday  5 December 1988 @ 1pm

Funeral location?, Uralla

Buried Uralla

Memorial:  Memorial Tree planted at NSW Police Academy, Goulburn

Sharon Louise WILSON 1 - NSWPF - Killed 30 November 1988

Sharon Louise WILSON - centre, front row. Class 215
Sharon Louise WILSON – centre, front row. Class 215

About 2.15pm on 30 November, 1988 Constable Wilson was on duty at the Leeton Police Station when she suffered a severe gunshot wound to the head when another member’s service revolver discharged. Although treated at the scene by colleagues until the ambulance arrived, she passed away at the Wagga Base Hospital at 5.45pm the same day.


The constable was born in 1968 and joined the New South Wales Police Force on 9 May, 1988. At the time of her death she was stationed at Leeton.



Touch plate at the National Police Wall of Remembrance, Canberra
Touch plate at the National Police Wall of Remembrance, Canberra

[alert_green]Sharon is mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance[/alert_green]


SYDNEY: The NSW Police Commissioner, John Avery, will decide whether charges should be laid against a constable allegedly involved in the shooting death of her 20 year-old colleague on Wednesday. A police spokesman said yesterday a team of detectives was waiting to interview the young officer over the death of policewoman Sharon Wilson at the Leeton Police Station, in the state’s Riverina district. He said results of the investigation would be forwarded to Mr Avery for consideration. A police spokesman said the detectives — including two from Sydney’s Internal Affairs department, two from homicide, a ballistics expert and a police psychologist — were waiting to talk to the 19-year-old constable. Probationary Constable Wilson was shot in the head by one bullet from a service revolver while on duty at Leeton Police Station, at 2.15pm on Wednesday. She was rushed to Wagga Base Hospital, but died 3 1/2 hours later. The policewoman awaiting questioning had been treated for shock and was being cared for by friends and welfare personnel, the spokesman said. Detectives hoped to talk with her last night. Miss Wilson, of Uralla, in the Northern Tablelands, was well known in the small community. She was regarded as a fine athlete and her 188cm frame was well known in the local basketball league. Miss Wilson was studying visual arts at the Riverina Murray Institute of Higher Education in Wagga. Her body will be transported to her home at Uralla, where a funeral will be held at I pm on Monday.”



Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 – 1995), Wednesday 15 March 1989, page 22


Second death prompts gun rule review

SYDNEY: Junior police officers could be made to leave their guns at work after a young constable accidentally killed his best friend while cleaning his service revolver at home on Monday.

An internal police investigation into the shooting would look at the controls on probationary constables’ possession of weapons, the NSW Minister for Police, Ted Pickering, said yesterday.

Constable Andrew Pearce, 20, was cleaning his .38 service revolver in the bedroom of his Greystanes home in Sydney’s west at noon on Monday when the gun discharged and hit his friend Andrew James McDonald in the chest.

Mr McDonald, a 20-year-old bank teller from Greystanes, died an hour later in Westmead Hospital.

The incident was the second fatal shooting by a probationary constable in the past four months.

Last November Probationary Constable Sheree Schneider, 19, accidentally shot Constable Sharon Wilson in the head at Leeton police station in the Riverina region. The young constable now faces a manslaughter charge.

Acting Police Commissioner Angus Graham refused yesterday to comment on Monday’s shooting and was unable to say whether Constable Pearce, an officer with one year’s service, would be charged over the incident.

He said the fatal shooting was the subject of a full investigation by the police’s Internal Affairs Department.

“When we have these incidents we always review our arrangements,” he said.



The Sydney Morning Herald      28 July 1989      p 6 of 68

‘Empty’ gun killed officer

A policewoman fatally wounded a colleague with a shot from her service revolver which she believed was empty, the Leeton Local Court, in south-west NSW, heard yesterday.

Sheree Ann Schneider ( ProCst # 60370 ), 20, of Pine Avenue, Leeton was charged with the manslaughter of Constable Sharon Louise Wilson, 20, at Leeton Police Station on November 30 last year.

Constable Wilson died of head injuries at the Wagga Wagga Base Hospital as a result of the shooting.

Constable Harvey McRae told the court that he was sitting at a computer terminal when he heard the firing pin of a police revolver strike the empty chamber.  Constable Wilson had said, “Oh God, don’t do that.  You scared the living daylights out of me”.

He said Schneider pointed the revolver toward Constable Wilson and said:  “No, it’s empty, see?”  The gun then discharged.

Schneider said she went into the sergeant’s office and re-loaded her gun.  The court heard that four live bullets and one spent one were later removed from the revolver.







The Law—From Protector To Persecutor
From ‘Signs Of Senility‘ a chapter of ‘A Study Of Our Decline‘ by P Atkinson (7/9/2013)

Schneider Case
In New South Wales, at Leeton police station on 30-Nov-1988, a junior policewoman produced a pistol and shot dead another officer. Sheree Ann Schneider claimed it was an accident. Satisfied the pistol was unloaded, she pulled the trigger without looking where the gun was pointed. The charge of Felonious Assault was dismissed in the lower court on 28th July 1989 under section 41 (vi) – the presiding officer ruled that no jury would convict. Use Of A Firearm In Disregard For Another Persons Safety was dismissed on 27th April 1990. The female did not even lose her job, presumably her fellow officers hope she will be more careful in future.

Court Ignores Duty
It is axiomatic with all weapons training that they never be pointed at anyone unless they are intended to be used —even in jest. Deliberately pulling the trigger without looking where the .38 pistol was pointed was criminal irresponsibility. Sharon Wilson was killed as the result of criminal negligence; a failure that should not be tolerated from any citizen, much less a police officer. Not knowing the gun was loaded is no excuse for anyone, least of all a trained professional. For the courts to fail to penalise this action is to commit more crimes; the denial of the importance of duty and the magnitude of taking a life.

The Law Repeats The Role Of Indulgent Parents
Schneider escaped penalty by adopting the infantile excuse that she was merely the hapless victim of the inadequate police weapons training program; that this was accepted by the authorities is not an aberration. Trial for murder is no longer a matter of resolving fact; it has become a re-enactment of the spoilt child caught by their indulgent parents; if the miscreant can deflect blame while generating sympathy then all is forgiven.





Please follow and like us:
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x