Douglas Ronald EATON

Douglas Ronald EATON

Late of  ?

New South Wales Police Force

[alert_yellow]Regd. #   11167[/alert_yellow]

Rank:  Probationary Constable – appointed 17 August 1964

Constable – appointed 17 August 1965

Senior Constable – Death

Stations: ?, North East District ( 1965 ), Toronto – Death

ServiceFrom  ? ? Pre August 1964  to  30 April 1977 = 12+ years Service

Awardsposthumously awarded the Queen’s Gallantry Medal,

posthumously awarded the George Lewis Memorial Trophy

posthumously awarded the Peter Mitchell Award

Born:  Saturday  23 November 1940

Died on:  Saturday  30 April 1977

Age:  36

Cause:  Shot – Murdered

Event location:  Toronto Country club, Kilaben Bay

Event date:  Saturday  30 April 1977

Funeral date:  Sunday  3 May 1977

Funeral location:  Beresfield Crematorium, Beresfield

Buried at:  Cremated

 Memorial located at?



[alert_green]DOUG is mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance[/alert_green]






May they forever Rest In Peace


SenCon Doug Eaton ( 1977 )
SenCon Doug Eaton ( 1977 )


SenCon Douglas Eaton - shot - 30 April 1977

On the night of 30 April, 1977, Senior Constable Douglas Ronald Eaton and Senior Constable Edward Gill attended a “silent” intruder alarm at the Toronto Country Club, Kilaben Bay. While they were making an external check of the premises both police officers were shot by offenders who had broken into the club. Senior Constable Eaton was killed instantly and Senior Constable Gill was seriously wounded. Members of the Glesic family were later arrested and imprisoned and a large cache of weapons and explosives recovered.


The constable was born in 1940 and joined the New South Wales Police Force on 17 August, 1964. At the time of his death he was stationed at Toronto. He was posthumously awarded the Queen’s Gallantry Medal, the George Lewis Memorial Trophy and the Peter Mitchell Award.




Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 – 1995), Thursday 5 May 1977, page 15

Crash kills two policemen

SYDNEY: Two policemen were fatally injured on Tuesday night in a car crash near Newcastle while returning from the funeral of a colleague who was shot dead on Saturday.

Police said a car carrying five’ policemen from Cessnock, overturned after apparently failing to negotiate a bend near Kurri Kurri.

Those killed were Senior-Constable Raymond Scorer, 31, of Aberdare, and Senior-Constable Alan Thompson, 30, of Cessnock. Each was married, with two children.

They had attended the funeral of Senior-Constable Doug Eaton, who was shot dead at a golf club at the weekend.

The three other policemen are in a satisfactory condition in Cessnock Hospital.





Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 – 1995), Saturday 16 September 1989, page 4

Police ‘betrayed’

SYDNEY: About 400 police in Newcastle overwhelmingly supported a call yesterday to protest on Wednesday over the release from jail this week of two brothers sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of a police officer during an armed robbery in Newcastle in 1977.

The brothers, Danny and Wally Glesic, had each served 12 years for the murder of Constable Doug Eaton.

A Police Association spokesman said officers felt “severely betrayed” by Corrective Services Minister Michael Yabsley over the release.



National Police Remembrance Day ceremony in Lake Macquarie