Australian Police

Australian Police

The Thin Blue Line – Australian Police

1986ArticlesBuriedCauseCurrently ServingDeceased PoliceFacialFirearmFuneralGenderGPSGraveIncompleteLocationMaleMemorial ( plaque / trophy / room etc )MonumentMurderNSWOf eventOf graveOn DutyPhotosShotStateTributeWall of RemembranceYearYes

Paul Mitchell QUINN


Paul Mitchell QUINN

New South Wales Police Force

Redfern Police Academy Class # started with 156 – may have ended with 163

Cadet #:  3358

Regd. #  18605


Rank:  NSW Police Cadet – commenced Training at Redfern Police Academy on Monday 4 July 1977 ( aged 17 years, 1 months, 28 day )

Probationary Constable – appointed 29 May 1979 ( aged 19 years )

Constable – appointed ? ? ?

Constable 1st Class – appointed 29 May 1984

Final Rank:  Constable 1st Class – posthumously promoted to Sergeant 3rd Class

Stations:  Casino & Bathurst – Death

ServiceFrom 4 July 1977 to 30 March 1986 = 8 years, 8 months, 26 days

Awards:  No find on It’s An Honour

Born:  Sunday  29 May 1960

Died on:  Wednesday 30 March 1986

Cause:  Murdered.  Shot through neck during arrest

Event location:  , Perthville, NSW

Age:  25 years, 10 months, 1 day

Funeral Date?

Funeral Location?

Buried at?

Grave locationMaranatha, Sec: Mar2, Row: A, Grave: 112


Memorials1/  Chifley LAC has the ‘ Paul Quinn Award ‘ for the most outstanding Officer each year.  Paul is Remembered within the Chifley LAC.

2/  Paul Mitchell Quinn – stone monument near the murder scene

3/  Mt Panorama ( Bathurst ) Police Compound – dedicated to Sgt Paul Quinn


 PAUL is mentioned on the Police Wall of Remembrance

Paul Mitchell QUINN
Paul Mitchell QUINN

Paul Mitchell Quinn - grave plate. Inscription (In loving memory Paul Mitchell Quinn, born 29 May 1960 killed 30 March 1986 aged 25 yrs. Sadly missed by his children Christopher, Rebeca, parents Brian, Barbara and family.)
Paul Mitchell Quinn – grave plate


This memorial was erected by the Central Tablelands branch of the Retired Police Association of NSW Inc. to the memory of Sergeant 3/c Paul Mitchell Quinn who was fatally shot in the execution of his duty near this location on 30th March 1986.
Paul Mitchell Quinn – monument near the murder scene


Paul Mitchell Quinn - murder scene
Paul Mitchell Quinn – murder scene


Police Wall of Remembrance - touch plate for Paul Mitchell QUINN
Police Wall of Remembrance – touch plate for Paul Mitchell QUINN – Canberra


Paul Mitchell Quinn, Paul Quinn, Mt Panorama, Paul Quinn Police Compound
Dubbo Photo News, page 3, Oct 6 – 12, 2016



Late in the afternoon of 30 March, 1986 Constable 1st Class Quinn was involved in the high speed pursuit of a vehicle from South Bathurst towards Perthville.

At Perthville the offender lost control of the vehicle and collided with a bridge railing at the intersection of Bridge Street.

The offender then leapt from the vehicle with a .303 rifle and began to fire at the police who had been chasing him.

Constable Quinn was hit in the neck and killed instantly and Constable Ian Borland was seriously wounded.

The offender, Horan, was shot several times by police before being arrested and charged.

Fortunately Constable Borland recovered from his injuries. Constable Quinn was posthumously promoted to Sergeant 3rd Class.


The sergeant was born in 1960 and joined the New South Wales Police Force as a Cadet on 4 July, 1977.  At the time of his death he was stationed at Bathurst.


Other Police who assisted with this incident at the time of the shots being fired were Senior Constable John Andrew BYERS  BM.



Chifley LAC has the ‘ Paul Quinn Award ‘ for the most outstanding Officer each year.  Paul is Remembered within the Chifley LAC.


Childhood pain relived as policeman’s killer poised for release

January 14, 2004

The day Constable First Class Paul Quinn was buried with full police honours, his daughter Rebecca turned four. After a funeral that closed streets in the policeman’s home town of Bathurst, his five-year-old son, Chris, was still asking relatives when Daddy would be coming home.

Lost innocence . . . Chris and Rebecca Quinn aged five and four.
Lost innocence . . . Chris and Rebecca Quinn aged five and four.

Yesterday the siblings sat together in distress again as the man who killed their sole-parent father was declared ready to return to the community after serving almost 18 years in jail.

Chris has had trouble with the law, but has shown talent as a lightweight boxer. Rebecca runs a coffee shop and turns 22 in a couple of months.

Supporting them was Inspector Ian Borland, who was seriously wounded the day Constable Quinn was killed and still works in Bathurst near where the pair encountered Patrick Francis Horan on Easter Sunday 1986.

The policeman and the Quinn siblings had been told Horan would be granted parole at his third attempt, but the decision moved Chris to climb over the public gallery and storm out the Hospital Road courtroom door.

Weeping outside, he was embraced by Inspector Borland, who still has bullet fragments in his body.

Inspector Borland, the Quinns and the NSW Police Association wanted to keep Horan, 63, locked up until he was dead.

John Watts, for Inspector Borland and the Quinns, had argued that Horan‘s lack of insight into his psychiatric problems and his refusal to acknowledge he had been the aggressor when Constable Quinn was killed made a “potent mix”.

But the Parole Board found Horan, a paranoid schizophrenic, was unlikely to pose a risk to others if he took his medication and that “the jail system is not a substitute for the treatment of people suffering from mental illness”.

Horan‘s prison behaviour had been exemplary and he successfully completed unsupervised work release. He had the family support of a brother and was engaged in “the admirable hobby of bee-keeping”, the board found.

Horan had not been taking his medication when his mother called police about his erratic and violent behaviour on the afternoon of March 30, 1986. One of the officers to respond to the call was Constable Quinn, then 25 and on duty at Bathurst for only his fifth shift since being transferred from Casino, to be near his parents.

After a pursuit that ended 10 kilometres south of Bathurst at Perthville, Constable Quinn got out of his car and ran towards Horan, who shot him in the left clavicle with a .303-calibre rifle.

The officer’s colleagues returned fire as Horan adopted what he described as a Rambo position and emptied the 10-round magazine in his .303.

Constable Borland, then 36, was shot in both legs and a hand, while Horan, who was hit by at least seven of 18 shots fired by police, continued shooting at five other officers.

Constable Quinn was posthumously promoted to sergeant.

In the Supreme Court sitting at Bathurst, Horan pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility due to mental illness.

Justice Kep Enderby sentenced him to life, with separate terms for wounding with intent to murder Constable Borland and shooting with intent to murder other police.

In March 1998 Justice Peter Hidden set a minimum term of 16 years, which expired in 2002, and a maximum of 22. The crown did not appeal.

Horan will be released next Wednesday, under conditions that include his accepting psychiatric treatment and not entering Chifley Local Area Command, where Inspector Borland works.…/2004/01/13/1073877830354.html…

Officer’s death hits local police hard


ANOTHER LIFE LOST: Chifley Local Area Command Acting Inspector Lionel White said police in Bathurst have been personally affected by the death of Constable William Crews in Sydney on Wednesday night. Photo: BRENDAN ARROW 091010
ANOTHER LIFE LOST: Chifley Local Area Command Acting Inspector Lionel White ( # 24873 ) said police in Bathurst have been personally affected by the death of Constable William Crews in Sydney on Wednesday night. Photo: BRENDAN ARROW 091010

POLICE in the Chifley Local Area Command have been personally affected by the death of trainee detective William Crews.

The 26-year-old died in a Sydney hospital after he was shot while carrying out a drug operation on Wednesday night with seven other officers from the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad in Bankstown, in Sydney’s south-west.

The officers were fired upon outside the targeted property in Cairds Avenue about 9pm. Constable Crews was hit in the head and neck.

Philip Nguyen, 55, has since been charged with shooting with intent to murder and discharging a firearm with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Geehad Ghazi, 27, has been charged with possession of an unauthorised firearm.

Yesterday, Acting Inspector Lionel White said the tragic situation in Sydney had personally impacted on a number of officers who knew Constable Crews.

“It is a very shocking situation, a couple of the officers here at the Bathurst Police Station knew him and have been left very upset by the situation,” he said.

“Some of the officers worked with him and trained with him before he became a detective.

“For those officers, we are offering them support and counselling during this tough time.”

Reminding people of those officers who lost their lives in the Bathurst area in the line of duty is a memorial board naming the 13 policemen who have died in the line of duty.

Since Trooper Robert Lovell McDougall died in 1853 near Sofala, 12 officers have fallen in the line of duty in Bathurst area with Sergeant Paul Mitchell Quinn the last, on the March 30, 1986.

Acting Inspector White said the latest death in Sydney brought to the forefront the difficult circumstances that police can find themselves in daily.

“On top of the very mundane things we do every day this is a stark reminder of the dangers police officers can face while in the front line,” he said. “This very much reminded us of the risk officers sometimes have to take while in the line of duty.

“It is a great tragedy.”


The State government has logged objections to Patrick Horan a NSW prisoner’s planned release, convicted of the manslaughter of a police officer and seriously wounding another. Justice Minister John Hatzistergos says the NSW Parole Board intends to grant parole to Patrick Francis Horan, who committed the crimes near Bathurst in NSW’s central west in 1986.


Horan‘s 22-year sentence expires on March the 29th, 2008 but his 16-year non-parole period lapsed on March the 29th last year. Hatzistergos says he’s discussed the matter with Police Minister John Watkins, who he says is also shocked at the board’s intention to release Horan.

Parliament of New South Wales

Question asked on 19 September 2003

Mr Peter Debnam to the Minister for Police—

In relation to convicted offenders:
(1) What is the status of attempts by Patrick Francis Horan, who killed one police officer and wounded another, to obtain parole?
(2) What action have you taken to ensure that Patrick Francis Horan remains in jail?


(1) I am advised by NSW Police that the review hearing on Mr Horan‘s application for parole has been adjourned by the Parole Board until 13 November 2003 pending reports from Corrective Services Health and the Serious Offender’s Review Board.
(2) I have expressed my concerns in writing to the Parole Board in relation to the release of Mr Horan.


Free… but banned from Bathurst
By Brooke Newstead
Jan. 14, 2004, 6:38 a.m.

POLICE killer Patrick Francis Horan will walk free next week.
However, he will not be allowed to return to Bathurst for at least five years.

The NSW Parole Board yesterday granted Horan full parole with the condition that he is not to enter the Chifley Local Area Command district.

His release date is set for January 21 and he will remain on parole for five years.

Horan was originally sentenced to life plus 125 years after shooting dead Bathurst police officer Sergeant Paul Quinn and injuring then Senior Constable Ian Borland at Perthville in 1986.

On November 13, 2003, he was granted day release and after being released for just seven day-release days since that date, he will now be allowed to fully integrate back into the community.

Subsequent conditions imposed by the Parole Board state Horan must undergo regular psychiatric assessment and counselling.

He is also never to approach any of the victims of the fateful night during which he shot dead Sergeant Quinn.



Prisoner group welcomes police killer’s release


A prisoner advocacy group has welcomed news convicted police killer Patrick Francis Horan will walk free in a week.

Horan, who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, has served the minimum 16-years sentence for the manslaughter of Bathurst police officer Sergeant Paul Quinn and the wounding of his partner, Inspector Ian Borland.

The New South Wales Government has criticised the granting of parole and promised to reform the composition of the parole board.

But a spokesman for Justice Action, Brett Collins, says it was obvious 17 years ago the man had mental health problems and his case needed special treatment.

“Instead we have a tragic situation where we have a policeman killed and another one disabled,” he said.

“Now for the police to actually present themselves at this stage as vengeful, as angry … when it’s clearly a mental health issue, one which requires compassion and requires understanding, it’s a shame.

“It’s not what we should expect from the police force and we certainly should expect better than that from the State Government.”

Mr Collins says it is important in this case to listen to the experts.

“So if you don’t listen to them and if in fact you still at the end of it as a government or as a police association are still saying at the end of it we are still angry, we still have hate, we want vengeance then that’s a misleading situation,” he said.

“We should accept the fact that the institution is there for the purpose of making a decision and accept the judgment of the umpire and give support to them.”

Horan is to be released next Wednesday on the condition he does not enter the Chifley local area command where Inspector Ian Borland works, for the next five years.


Police killer to make statement on release


It is expected convicted police killer Patrick Francis Horan will issue a statement this afternoon after being released from Sydney’s Long Bay Jail.

Horan shot and killed Sergeant Paul Quinn during an incident in the State’s central west 17 years ago.

He served his minimum of 16 years in jail for killing Sergeant Quinn and injuring then Senior Constable Ian Borland outside of Bathurst in 1986.

Horan fired at police with a rifle after a high-speed car chase.

Corrective Services says Horan will read a statement to the media at the jail’s boomgate, just after his release at 3:00pm AEDT today.

The department cannot say where Horan will be moving, or what possible security arrangements have been made on his behalf.

The parole board has ruled that Horan will not be able to return to the Chifley local area command, where surviving officer Inspector Boland is still serving.

The board says Horan is not a danger to the public, provided he takes regular medication to treat his paranoid schizophrenia.


Officer’s memory will live on in award

Wednesday 21 September 2016
Hi Greg, just a quick note on the great work that you and your pages do, and that of the Wall to Wall Ride.
You keep the memories of those we have lost, very much alive.
On the Wall ride, all the individual groups and sometimes the whole ride, travel to places where our kin have lost their lives, and stop or salute to remember them.
Kudos to NSW for the great job they do on the memorials on the highway, and congratulations to ACT for the best procession on record.
Even a far away place like Perthville near Bathurst was visited and a token of remembrance 30 years on, was placed and left.
Remembrance is not a burden, its an obligation you can choose to carry… Lest we forget!

4 thoughts on “Paul Mitchell QUINN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *